There is no charge to enter a film in SPLIFF. Filmmakers retain all rights to their films.
All winners are decided by secret audience ballot during the live event April 2021. Films may qualify in more than one prize category.
2021 Extra Credit Items
SPLIFF has optional extra credit items that will show the jury that they made this film specifically for the festival. These items are:
- Cutoff Jean Shorts
- Polaroids / Instax
- Macrame Plant Hanger
- 4 Minutes 20 seconds MAXIMUM LENGTH
- Whether using your phone or a video camera, make sure you are recording in 1080p.
- If using a phone, please shoot in landscape and not vertically.
- Preferred file formats are .mp4 or .mov, but we can accommodate others if needed.
- We can accommodate most frame rates.
- Using Zoom? Please don’t use 25fps”
For You Advanced Filmmakers:
- 24 frames per second is preferred (but can also work with 23.98 or 29.97)
- Audio: 48k, 16 bit, Stereo
- Codec either Apple Pro Res or H264
- PREFERRED EXPORT: 1920×1080 * 24 frames per second * h.264 video file
HOW TO SEND US YOUR FILM:
ALL SUBMISSIONS FOR THE 3RD ANNUAL SPLIFF FILM FESTIVAL ARE DUE NO LATER THAN FRIDAY, MARCH 5TH, 2021 AT 5PM PST.
Digital submission through dropbox is preferred. WeTransfer or Google Drive also works! Please include your film submission and all paperwork in one folder and submit to [email protected] . Your submission must include one Entry Form and a signed Performer Release Form from ALL performers who appear in your film. Please include a copy of photo ID for all performers.
Any technical difficulty with these instructions: contact [email protected].
All performers must be 21 years of age.
Award categories include Trippiest, Funniest, Stupidest, and Best in Show. In addition to the award categories, SPLIFF! will share a portion of all ticket revenue with filmmakers who make it into the festival.
You must have the rights to the music used in your film. Permission from the original owner or a music license agreement must be submitted with your paperwork.
Need help finding music for your film? Here are a few resources:
- Shutterstock: www.shutterstock.com/music
- Tighe K McGillivray (aka Futurewife)
- BMI: https://www.bmi.com/licensing
- Maroset: https://www.marmosetmusic.com/
- Musicbed: https://www.musicbed.com/
- Audiojungle: https://audiojungle.net/
- Pond5: https://www.pond5.com/royalty-free-music/
Performer Release Forms
No submissions will be admitted to the festival without a signed RELEASE FORM and photo ID from each performer and an ENTRY FORM completed and signed by the film’s producer.
Have a technical question about your submission?
Email [email protected].